2 pounds of ground turkey
1 teaspoon of unrefined salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
½ a white onion, diced
1 red, green, yellow or orange pepper, diced
Handful of mushroom, diced
¾ tablespoons of tomato paste (this will keep the burgers nice and juicy)
1. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Prepare patties with tip below.
Tip: To make uniform patties, use a pastry ring or take the lid of a large mason jar and fill the lid with the burger mixture. Using a paring knife, coax the burger out of the lid (it will slide out easily) and stack between parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator or freezer for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will make the patties easier to handle.
Enjoy these turkey burgers wrapped in lettuce or in our Hamburger Buns (page 164), and topped with our Cashew Mayonnaise (Egg Free) (page 170), Ketchup (page 179) and HC Special Sauce (page 178), which can all be found in our cookbook, Healthy Comforts.
HC Special Sauce
¾ cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 cup of hot water (for soaking cashews)
1 shallot, diced
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
2 dill pickles, diced
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
¼ cup of water
Pepper to taste
⅛ teaspoon of unrefined salt
1. Place cashews in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add 1 cup of hot water to the bowl of cashews, making sure the cashews are completely covered.
3. Leave cashews soaking for 20 – 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients into a high-speed blender and set aside.
5. Once the cashews have soaked, drain them and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
6. Add the cashews to the rest of the ingredients and blend until mixture is thick and smooth.
7. Transfer to a glass container and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour for the flavours to develop.